Girl Scout Camp Tanasi encompasses 461 acres of scenic wooded property near Norris, Tennessee. Amenities include a waterfront program area, pool, cabins and tents, a climbing tower and a challenge course. Girl Scouts can use our camp for day visits and events, troop camping, service unit encampments and our highly popular summer camp weekends.
Accommodations and Camp Information
- Camp Map
- Facility Chart
- Camp Tanasi Reservation Form
- Troop Camping Reservation Process
- Service Unit Encampment Contract
- What to Bring List for Girls
- What to Bring List for Leaders
- Camp Tanasi Rules and Policies
Camp Tanasi is accredited by the American Camp Association. ACA accreditation indicates that a camp has invited trained camp professionals to verify compliance with more than 224 individual standards to evaluate every aspect of camp operation, including facilities, program, healthcare services, operational management, human resources, and administration. ACA accreditation goes beyond health department or state licensing requirements to identify practices that are recognized as the highest standards established for camps.
Spend a day at camp and explore the hiking trails, climb the tower, picnic at the tree house, complete badge work and more! To spend the day at Camp Tanasi you will have to do the following:
- Get the proper approval from parents and your Service Unit Manager.
- Call the Knoxville office at 800.474.1912 and let her know what day you’d like to come up. We’d prefer that you let us know at least 3 business days in advance.
- The fee is $1 per person if you are not doing another activity that requires a fee.
- All tag-a-longs must be covered by additional insurance at a fee of $5 for the whole group for the day.
- Fees can be paid by check, cash or credit card at the Council Office.
- If you wish to use one of our cabins for the day, the nightly reservation fee will apply.
- Using the Pool Pavilion is first come, first serve.
Directions to Camp Tanasi
From the West:
Interstate 75 to exit 122. Take Highway 61 East for 9 miles. Take a left on Dark hollow Road. Take first left to entrance gate.
From the East:
From Highway 33 turn onto Highway 61 West for 11 miles. Take a right on Dark Hollow Road. Take first left to entrance gate.
Reserve a Cabin or Tent Unit
To reserve a cabin or tent unit at Tanasi, please fill out a Troop Camping Reservation Form or the Service Unit Encampment Form and drop it off or mail it to the Knoxville Service Center. To check available dates or units, please call the Knoxville office at 800.474.1912. For outside group use, please contact Rebecca Lane at 800-474-1912 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Relax on Norris Lake with our paddleboats, canoes or kayaks. You must register four (4) weeks in advance. Waterfront available May through October. Troops or individuals are invited to register. Certified Boating Instructor, Lifeguards, and Watchers will be provided. Each participant will have a brief safety orientation and wear a PFD. Price is $5 per participant for two hours of boating. Call 800.474.1912 to schedule. Based on staff availability.
- Paddleboating – Limit 20 participants per session (All ages)
- Canoeing – Limit 30 participants per session (Juniors and up)
- Kayaking (solo and sit-on-top) - Limit 25 participants per session (Juniors and up)
Poolside Swim Parties
Cool of by the in-ground swimming pool at camp. You must register four (4) weeks in advance. Pool available to use the first weekend after Memorial Day until the weekend before Labor Day, weather permitting. Troops or individuals are invited to register. Certified Lifeguards and Watchers are provided. Limit 50 participants at $3.50 per person per two hour session for all ages. Each participant will have a brief swim evaluation to gauge swimming ability. Participants not evaluated will be limited to shallow water. Call 800-474-1912 to schedule. Based on staff availability.
Challenge yourself and your Girl Scouts year round. You must register four (4) weeks in advance. Available workshops include Group Initiatives, Team Building, Decision Making, Overcoming Fear, and Self Confidence. Let us know what you want to work on and we’ll customize a program for your group. Includes the use of challenge course, obstacle course, climbing and rappelling tower (Juniors and up), and the outdoors. Cost is $45 per session for a minimum of 3 participants and a maximum of 20 participants. Call 800-474-1912 to schedule a session. Based on instructor availability.
- Adventure Games, All ages, 2 hours (year round)
- Challenge Course (low elements), Juniors and Up, 2 – 3 hours (year round)
- Climbing Wall, Brownies and Up, 2 – 3 hour session (March – October)
- Rappelling Tower, Juniors and Up, 3 hour session, pre-requisite: have attended a climbing wall session (March – October)
We can provide healthy and nutritious food service to your group of 40 or more! Enjoy a meal in Lighton Lodge; our dining hall can hold over 150 people. Breakfast is $4.50 per person and lunch and dinner are $6.00 per person. Menus available upon request. Dining hall is not heated. Reservations for food service must be made at least three (3) months in advance and will depend on kitchen staff availability. Please indicate which meals and what days you would like food service for on your reservation form. Final numbers for meals are due at least two (2) weeks prior to your stay at Tanasi.
Can you hit the bulls-eye? Have your troop try their hand at archery! You must register four (4) weeks in advance. Availability depends on volunteer instructor availability. Call 800.474.1912 to schedule your two hour session. Archery is available to Juniors and up March – October.
Council Patch Programs
Do something unique while you’re at Camp Tanasi for the day or overnight. There are several patches you can earn while at camp that you can do with your family or troop.
- Love Your Camp: This patch is awarded after the completion of a work assignment during our annual Love Your Camp event at Camp Tanasi
- Camp Tanasi Tower Patch: This patch is awarded after the completion of a Camp Tanasi Tower session.
- Leave Only Footprints
The following patches can be completed at camp or at other outdoor locations:
- Eco Environmental Education
- Feathers and Nests
- Feathers and Nests Coloring Book (print one book per girl and cut on dotted lines)
- You may request the Feathers and Nests Additional Activities Kit and binoculars while you are staying at Camp Tanasi. Please contact the Camp Director for all requests.
Be a Volunteer
Are you interested in helping out at special events or summer programs at Camp Tanasi? Do you have ideas for events at Camp Tanasi? Would you like to train others about the great outdoors or teach a workshop? Do you just want to help take care of Camp? Please let us know! If you are interested in being a Camp Tanasi Volunteer, please email Becky Cavender at email@example.com and you will be contacted shortly.
The following are included with every unit:
- Firewood, enough for a small fire for each night of camping. Feel free to collect down and dead branches to use for firewood.
- Outdoor Cooking Equipment
- 2 cooking pots
- 1 long-handled fork
- 3 wash basins
- 1 skillet
- 2 pot holders
- 1 grate (grill to put over fire)
- 2 long-handled spoons
- 1 spatula (pancake turner)
- 10 toasting forks
- Brooms and mops
- Cleaning Supplies
Crafty Fox Den
Maximum: 15 people
Fees: $30 per troop per night, plus $100 refundable deposit
Heated with tables. Mattresses for sleeping. Two bathrooms, one fully accessible. Small kitchen with stove, refrigerator and dishwasher. Covered porch and outdoor fire ring. Handicap accessible.
Maximum: 15 People
Fees: $45 per troop per night, plus $100 refundable deposit
Heated with fold-up tables. Bathroom, fireplace, kitchen with stove & refrigerator, large deck, fire ring and picnic tables. 15 Mattresses for sleeping inside.
(Not available year-round; call to check availability)
Deer Point - (two sides) A & B
Maximum: 40 people (20 on each side)
Fees: each side is $80 per troop per night, plus $100 refundable deposit
Heated, fully furnished troop house; 16 mattresses in each sleep/activity wing, four beds and mattresses in each leader’s room. Complete kitchen with microwave, dishwasher, stove & refrigerator. Bathroom, fireplace, large deck, fire rings with benches, and picnic tables. Has eating area with fireplace (troops share this area). Handicapped accessible.
Men can sleep in leader’s room & use handicapped bathroom. Women can sleep w/girls.
Note: You may also reserve a camp golf cart for assistance to and from units if you have handicapped participants.
Maximum: 37 people (25 inside & 12 outside in 3 tents)
Fees: $35 per troop per night, plus $100 refundable deposit
Heated dormitory with eating area and bathroom attached. Bunk beds with mattresses inside; 4 cots with mattresses in each tent.
Picnic tables, refrigerator, sink, stove & fireplace inside; one outdoor fire ring.
Maximum: 29 people (3 cabins; 10 each in cabins one & two, and 9 in third)
Fees: $35 per troop per night, plus $100 refundable deposit.
3 heated cabins with platform beds and mattresses. Activity room attached to Kitchen with stove and refrigerator. Heated showers with hot water, flush toilets, shelter with fireplace, one outdoor fire ring.
Cedars A & B Tent Units
Maximum: 40 people (5 tents per side, 20 people per side)
Fees: $2 per person per night, plus $100 refundable deposit
Four cots in each tent. MATTRESSES ARE PROVIDED. Open-sided unit shelter for each side with 3 picnic tables, fireplace, refrigerator, one outdoor fire ring with benches. Side A shelther has 1 electrical outlet. Side B has 3 electrical outlets. Tents do not have electricity.
Both sides share unheated bathhouse. Bathhouse has hot showers & flush toilets.
Far Horizons A & B Tent Units
Maximum: 40 people (5 tents per side; 20 people per side)
Fees: $2 per person per night, plus $100 refundable deposit
Four cots and mattresses in each tent. Open-sided unit shelter per side with 4 picnic tables, fireplace, refrigerator, one outdoor fire ring with benches.
Both sides share unheated bathhouse. Bathhouse has hot showers and flush toilets. Each side of the shelter has 3 electrical outlets.