Taking troops on extended trips or to more adventurous activities

Using the Application for Extended Travel and/or High Risk Activity Participation

Your troop has been camping multiple times. You’ve ridden horseback together at Camp Adahi. You’ve paddled the lake until you recognize every rock on the bank. You’ve even climbed the tower and rappelled down it yourself at Camp Tanasi to make things more exciting for your troop.  It’s past time for a new and expanded challenge.

The world is full of places to go and more adventurous things to do. So get started by making a plan with your girls and putting it into action, starting with the new application for Extended Travel and/or High Risk Activity Participation. Whenever you travel with girls for an extended amount of time or take girls to try an activity that has a personal risk factor, you need to get approval from the council office.

Use this form when:

  • You want to take your girls on a trip that will last three or more nights
  • You want to take a trip that involves special equipment for travel like rental cars, buses, planes, or RV’s
  • You want to try out an activity that isn’t listed in the Girl Scout Safety Activity Checkpoints
  • Your troop wants to try out activities that are more adventurous and risky

This application is due two months before your trip or activity. In most cases, you will be notified of your approval status within 10 working days of receipt of request. You will also need to purchase additional activity or accident insurance no later than one week before your activity or trip. The cost is very minimal but will cover your trip and any non-member participants who might be going with you.

You don’t have to submit this form for higher risk activities at our camps because they are supervised by council staff.  And you don’t have to call the office or submit a Day Trip Application for your troop as long as you are not engaging in higher risk program activities.

So what qualifies as a high risk activity?

There are lots of activities that may fall into a category that is classified as “higher risk.” Some examples might include but are not limited to:

  • Horseback riding
  • Whitewater rafting
  • Canoeing or kayaking
  • Sailing
  • Self-guided backpacking trips
  • Downhill skiing and snowboarding
  • Scuba diving and snorkeling
  • Zip Line adventures or rappelling
  • Climbing or caving
  • Hot air ballooning

Remember…whenever you take girls on an adventure whether day trip or extended travel, always make sure you:

  • Get permission slips signed by all parents that clearly state their knowledge of your travel arrangements and planned activities
  • Obtain parent signatures for any special waivers your adventure-based destination may require. You can’t ever sign on behalf of a parent.
  • Review the Safety Activity Checkpoints for helpful planning and instruction on how to have the best experience possible

Click here for the Application for Extended Travel and/or High Risk Activity Participation.