Summer Stack Club
Summer’s here, and that means it’s time for GSCSA’s Summer Stack Club! Last year, 600+ girls participated in our council-wide summer reading program. This program is free, open to Girl Scouts within and outside of our council, AND gives girls a chance to earn a fun patch.
Participants will also be entered into a prize drawing! The drawing will take place in August; exact prizes to be announced.
To earn the Summer Stack Club patch, girls must:
- Register by July 15
- Complete at least 20 hours total of reading between June 1 and Aug. 6
- Within their 20 hours of reading, have read a minimum of two books from the 2022 Girl Scout Reading List (posted below)
2022 Girl Scout Reading List
Most of these titles can either be found in our Leadership Centers'
lending libraries or in your local public library system. Our
Leadership Center libraries also contain books from past lists that
are perfect for filling in those required 20 hours of reading.
Picture Books (best for readers 5-8 years old)
- All the Way to the Top: How One Girl's Fight for Americans with Disabilities Changed Everything by Annette Bay Pimentel & Nabi Ali
- Black Dog by Levi Pinfold
- Dress Like a Girl by Patricia Toht & Lorain Tu-Dean
- Fantastically Great Women Who Changed the World by Kate Pankhurst*
- Francis Discovers Possible by Ashlee Latimer & Shahrzad Maydani
- The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires*
- The Only Woman in the Photo: Frances Perkins & Her New Deal for America by Kathleen Krull & Alexandra Bye
- Planting Stories by Anika Aldammuy Denise & Paola Escobar
- Reading Beauty by Deborah Underwood & Meg Hunt
- Your Name is a Song by Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow & Luisa Uribe*
Chapter Books (best for readers 6-9 years old)
- Ellie Engineer by Jackson Pearce & Tuesday Mourning*
- The Gumazing Gum Girl! Chews Your Destiny by Rhode Montijo
- Ivy & Bean by Annie Barrows & Sophie Blackall
- Jada Jones: Rock Star by Kelly Starling Lyons & Vanessa Brantley-Newton
- Meet Yasmin by Saadia Faruqi & Hatern Aly*
NOTE: For these chapter books series, girls can read ANY book in the series (it doesn't have to be the first one) and it will count toward being a book read off of this list.
Middle Grade (best for readers 8-12 years old)
- The List of Unspeakable Fears by J. Kasper Kramer
- Nat Enough by Maria Scrivan
- Operation Sisterhood by Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich
- Property of the Rebel Librarian by Allison Varnes
- Roll With It by Jamie Sumner*
- A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd
- Strange Birds by Celia C. Perez
- Twins by Varian Johnson & Shannon Wright*
Young Adult (best for readers 13+ years old)
- Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks
- Happily Ever Afters by Elise Bryant
- In Real Life by Cory Doctorow & Jen Wang
- My Eyes are Up Here by Laura Zimmerman*
- Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee by Jeff Zentner
- The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen
- Saving Savannah by Tonya Bolden*
* Indicates a book that we have in our Leadership Centers' lending libraries.